Sunday, January 23, 2011

Fee Fi Fo Fum....Grinding Wheat to make...Hot Cereal


It all started with breakfast on Science Friday.
The older kids were asking where does bread come from.
A lightbulb went off over my head not unlike Ms. Frizzle.
To the Bus...


We started by investigating what wheat berries look like.
I put some on a paper towel with water to sprout.
By Monday they had sprouted and the kids thought they were delicious. 
Then I got out my Mayan Grain Grinder.  An ancient grinding stone from volcanic rock in Guatemala, where my husband comes from.  La Piedra, they call it in Spanish.
Many years ago, I watched my Mother-in-Law and her Mother, these Mayan women in their traditional dress, grinding spices on their rocks.  They would sit on their grass mats, legs tucked under their seat, chatting away in Kak'chikel.  My husband was kind enough to haul a big one back for me, but I have to admit it's been more of a decoration in my kitchen than a useful tool.  Until last Friday!
Years ago, I sat fixated on learning how to grind the correct way.  Just like making tortillas by hand, I had to get this right.  Practicing, while the ladies laughed at me until I got it right.  I made a mental recording of how one uses their arms and hands to grind efficiently, or so I thought.  
During our Science Friday wheat berry moment, my husband had to remind me I was using the stone backwards, ha!
We ground those wheat berries to flour, then put them in a pot and boiled them with raisins, water and cinnamon, yum!


We served the hot cereal to the kids as a mid-morning snack.
Que Rico, So Delicious.
They all got seconds.








No comments:

Post a Comment